16-year-old boy charged with manslaughter after fatal Methuen hit-and-run

He is also accused of intimidating a witness.

A 16-year-old boy from Lawrence was charged with manslaughter after allegedly hitting a Methuen man with a car and driving away earlier this month.

The man who died in the crash, 57-year-old Timothy Lafferty, was reportedly crossing the street to meet a tow truck driver on Oct. 14 when he was struck.

Lafferty was hit by a white 2011 Acura Infiniti M37 traveling down Jackson Street, according to police. Officers arrived to help him around 8:40 p.m., but he succumbed to his injuries.

He was born in Boston, raised in Chelmsford, and “well known as a do it yourself person, who could build or fix anything,” according to his obituary. He loved boating and was a “devoted caregiver” to his mother. 

Advertisement

Police said the Acura, which the 16-year-old reportedly took from its owner’s home on Brook Street, was “quickly located” after the crash. The boy knew the car’s owner and does not face any theft charges.

The 16-year-old, whose name is not being released because of his age, allegedly returned the car to its home with front-end damage after hitting Lafferty. He also reportedly threatened a witness to the crash.

He faces a slew of charges related to the incident, including manslaughter, unlicensed operation, and witness interference or intimidation.

The boy is scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday.

“This was a tragedy that was entirely avoidable,” Methuen Police Chief Solomon said in a release. “I’m proud of the tireless effort our officers put in to investigate this incident and identify the person responsible so that they can be held accountable for their actions.”