Mattapoisett Police Chief placed on leave after OUI charge

“At this time, the Chief has been placed on paid administrative leave effective immediately.”

Mattapoisett’s Police Chief Mary Lyons was placed on a paid leave of absence today after being arrested this weekend for allegedly driving under the influence. 

“The Town is continuing to investigate the incident involving our Chief of Police, Mary Lyons,” wrote Mattapoisett’s Town Administrator Michael Lorenco. “At this time, the Chief has been placed on paid administrative leave effective immediately.”

Lorenco also said the department will be under the direction of Police Captain Jason King, and that the town cannot comment further on the incident while the investigation continues.

Lyons was arraigned on Monday at Falmouth District Court on a charge of Operating Under the Influence, to which and she pleaded not guilty. The Boston Globe reported her court appearance lasted less than a minute and that she was released on personal recognizance.


The Globe reported that the police report stated that Lyons, 61, was arrested on Saturday night on Route 24 in Falmouth by State trooper Patrick A. Bosworth. Bosworth wrote in the report that Lyons – driving in a 2014 Lexus – was sporadically swerving in between the right and middle lanes.

According to the Globe, Bosworth said he “detected an odor or an alcoholic beverage emanating from inside the driver’s area.”

“I observed Lyons’s speech to be slurred and her eyes to be bloodshot and glassy,” Bosworth wrote. “I asked Lyons if she had anything to drink to which she stated ‘ I have not.’”


The Globe also reported Lyons did not step out of the vehicle when Bosworth requested it, telling him she did not “feel that she had to.”

After eventually getting out of the car, Bosworth reportedly performed the gaze nystagmus, but Lyons told Bosworth she was unable to complete it due to her contact lenses, bad knees, and bad hips. 

Bosworth wrote she was then asked to complete a portable chemical breath test, which Lyons allegedly refused initially and repeatedly had to be shown how to use it. The Globe reported that this type of test is used consistently statewide by police. 


Lyons then pretended to blow into the test twice, Bosworth wrote in the police report, which led him to believe she was intoxicated. 

The Globe also reported that she was handcuffed, but then had issues getting into the state police cruiser, so Bosworth handcuffed her in the front instead. When they arrived at the Bourne State Police Barracks, Bosworth wrote he saw that Lyons had freed herself. 

The Globe wrote that Lyons denied another chemical breath test at the Police Barracks and reportedly apologized to the troopers.

The Globe also reported that the Registry for Motor Vehicles suspended her license for failing to take a chemical breath test, according to her driving history.

Jump To Comments


This discussion has ended. Please join elsewhere on