Crime

2 now dead in random shooting at ‘Purge’ movie, officials say

Anthony Barajas, 19, and Rylee Goodrich, 18, were each shot in the head at a movie theater near Los Angeles on Monday, the Riverside County district attorney’s office said.

News crews report from in front of the Regal Edwards Corona Crossings movie theater on July 27 in Corona, Calif. There was a shooting at the theater the night before that killed Rylee Goodrich, 18, and seriously wounded 19-year-old Anthony Barajas as they watched “The Forever Purge.” Barajas died July 31 from his injuries. Terry Pierson / The Orange County Register via AP


A second person died Saturday after being shot during a screening of “The Forever Purge,” a movie about anarchy and murder, at a California theater in what authorities called a “random and unprovoked attack.”

Anthony Barajas, 19, and Rylee Goodrich, 18, were each shot in the head at a movie theater in Corona, about 50 miles southeast of Los Angeles, on Monday, the Riverside County district attorney’s office said.

Police said Barajas and Goodrich were together, attending a showing of “The Forever Purge,” which tells the story of “members of an underground movement” who are “no longer satisfied with one annual night of anarchy and murder,” according to a synopsis.

Advertisement:

The killers in the movie “decide to overtake America through an unending campaign of mayhem and massacre.” It is the fifth installment in a movie franchise that started with “The Purge” in 2013.

Theater employees cleaning the auditorium after the movie ended found Barajas and Goodrich with gunshot wounds, authorities said.

Goodrich was pronounced dead at the scene. Barajas was taken to a hospital, where he was put on life support, authorities said. Barajas died Saturday, police said.

Barajas was well known on TikTok, where he posted lip-sync videos, skits and interviews with strangers. He had more than 960,000 followers, some of whom used the hashtag #ripanthony and #pray4anthony in posts about him.

Advertisement:

Malik Earnest, his friend, wrote on Twitter that Barajas was “wheeled down an ‘honor walk’ where he would ultimately donate his organs so others may live.”

“I want to thank everyone who lifted Anthony in prayer,” Earnest wrote. “The injuries to his brain were irreparable.”

The Riverside County district attorney, Mike Hestrin, said in a statement Friday that Joseph Jimenez, 20, had been charged with, among other counts, murder and attempted murder.

This booking photo released by the Corona, Calif., Police Department shows 20-year-old Joseph Jimenez, who was arrested Tuesday in connection with a shooting that killed 18-year-old Rylee Goodrich and 19-year-old Anthony Barajas. He is being held on $2 million bail. – Corona Police Department via AP

Authorities said they were not releasing a motive for the shooting, and that there did not appear to be a connection between Jimenez and Barajas and Goodrich.

“Based on the evidence provided to our office, this appears to be a random and unprovoked attack,” the district attorney’s statement said.

Advertisement:

Police said that witness accounts led them to Jimenez, who was arrested Tuesday night. Detectives served a search warrant at his home in El Cerrito, California, and recovered a firearm and other evidence related to the shooting, police said.

Regal Edwards Corona Crossings theater was closed Saturday, and theater officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The venue is set to open Sunday, its website said.

This article originally appeared in The New York Times.

Jump To Comments

Conversation

This discussion has ended. Please join elsewhere on Boston.com