U.S. News & World Report released its annual rankings of public high schools on Tuesday, and, this year, only one New England school made the cut for the top 100 nationally.
The publication evaluated more than 17,700 public high schools nationwide on six factors: college readiness, reading and math proficiency, reading and math performance, underserved student performance, college curriculum breadth, and graduation rates.
“The Best High Schools rankings provide the most comprehensive, data-based information on nearly every public high school in the country,” Anita Narayan, managing editor of Education at U.S. News, said in a statement. “Families can use this information to see how their local schools compare on graduation rates and state assessments, as well as academic performance by students who are traditionally underserved — those who are black, Hispanic or from low-income households.”
Half of Massachusetts’s eligible high schools (49.6 percent) made it into the top quarter of the national rankings, the highest proportion of any state, according to U.S. News. California came in second overall with 40.9 percent of schools getting ranked in the top 25 percent, and Connecticut in third with 40.1 percent in the top quarter.
In addition to the best overall national and individual statewide rankings, U.S. News evaluated the best charter, best magnet, and best STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) schools. This year, 24 New England schools made it into the top 100 in at least one of the four ranking categories.
Best high schools
37. Boston Latin School, Boston, Massachusetts
Best charter schools
26. Sturgis Charter Public School, Hyannis, Massachusetts
47. Advanced Math and Science Academy Charter School, Marlborough, Massachusetts
54. Mystic Valley Regional Charter School, Malden, Massachusetts
70. Academy for Science and Design (ASD), Nashua, New Hampshire
Best magnet schools
49. Connecticut IB Academy, East Hartford, Connecticut
Best STEM schools
22. Brookline High School, Brookline, Massachusetts
23. Ashland High School, Ashland, Massachusetts
28. Academy of Science and Design (ASD), Nashua, New Hampshire
30. Acton-Boxborough Regional High School, Acton, Massachusetts
31. Winchester High School, Winchester, Massachusetts
37. The Bromfield School, Harvard, Massachusetts
38. Lexington High School, Lexington, Massachusetts
42. Westford Academy, Westford, Massachusetts
44. Wellesley High School, Wellesley, Massachusetts
49. Dover-Sherborn Regional High School, Dover, Massachusetts
51. Newton South High School, Newton Centre, Massachusetts
68. Sunapee Sr. High School, Sunapee, New Hampshire
81. Belmont High School, Belmont, Massachusetts
84. Darien High School, Darien, Connecticut
88. Greenwich High School, Greenwich, Connecticut
92. Staples High School, Westport, Connecticut
97. Wayland High School, Wayland, Massachusetts
99. Weston High School, Weston, Connecticut