U.S. News & World Report’s high school rankings released its 2021 list for Massachusetts on Tuesday.
The publication ranked Boston Latin School as the top high school in the Bay State, taking into account six factors it uses to evaluate institutions: reading and math proficiency, reading and math performance, underserved student performance, college readiness, college curriculum breadth, and graduation rates.
“Families can use the Best High Schools rankings to see how schools compare at the national, state and local level on factors like graduation rates and college readiness,” Anita Narayan, managing editor of education at U.S. News, said in a statement. “The rankings also provide insight into academic performance among underserved groups showing how well schools are supporting these students.”
In the publication’s national rankings, Massachusetts schools were significantly present among the topped-ranked schools. Three local schools made the top 100, while 161 schools — or 46.3 percent — in the state ranked among the top 25 percent in the nation — a higher percent than in any other state.
Data used in the 2021 rankings was taken from the 2018-2019 school year “and therefore was not affected by the COVID-19 pandemic,” the publication says.
Here are the top 25 high schools in Massachusetts:
- Boston Latin School, Boston
- Pioneer Valley Chinese Immersion Charter School, Hadley
- Advanced Math and Science Academy Charter School, Marlborough
- Pioneer Charter School of Science 2 (PCSS-2), Saugus
- The Bromfield School, Harvard
- Belmont High School, Belmont
- Lexington High School, Lexington
- Dover-Sherborn Regional High School, Dover
- Weston High School, Weston
- Hopkinton High School, Hopkinton
- Mystic Valley Regional Charter School, Malden
- Sharon High School, Sharon
- Boston Latin Academy, Dorchester
- John D. O’Bryant School of Mathematics and Science, Roxbury
- Acton-Boxborough Regional High School, Acton
- Needham High School, Needham
- Pioneer Charter School of Science, Everett
- Wayland High School, Wayland
- Concord Carlisle High School, Concord
- Brookline High School, Brookline
- Westwood High School, Westwood
- Norwell High School, Norwell
- Manchester Essex Regional High School, Manchester
- Medfield Senior High School, Medfield
- Excel Academy Charter School, East Boston
Get Boston.com's browser alerts:
Enable breaking news notifications straight to your internet browser.