HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut officials say a second person has died after testing positive earlier this month for a rare, mosquito-borne disease.
Democratic Lt. Gov. Susan Bysiewicz confirmed Tuesday the adult who tested positive for eastern equine encephalitis during the second week of September was from Old Lyme.
The announcement comes several days after officials announced that a woman from nearby East Lyme bitten by an infected mosquito had died.
Their names haven’t been made public.
Theodore Andreadis, director of the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, says Connecticut has “never seen this much activity” regarding mosquitoes carrying the virus. The last time there was a death in Connecticut from the virus was 2013.
He says the good news is the mosquito population is dropping as colder weather nears.
Residents are urged to take precautions.