“Slimy” co-workers needs a reference

Q: I received a reference call on a former co-worker. I don’t know for sure but I think the guy was fired. He was very slimy and I think he used the company credit card for personal expenses. What is the protocol for returning such a call? Do I tell what I know? Do I just say he was a suspicious person but I have no proof? I wish he had told me he was going to list me as a reference. I would have asked that he not shared my contact info as a reference. We were not that close.

A: Your former co-worker has put you in a difficult situation. It sounds like his track record at your company was less than stellar. It is wise to ask a potential reference if they are willing to serve as a reference. Some people are not comfortable providing a reference, even for colleagues who are good employees.

You should determine if your company has a policy on providing references. Most employers request that these calls be directed to Human Resources (HR) and that you not return the call. This is particularly important if your former colleague was terminated. If he was stealing from your company, your employer may be filing charges against him. I would suggest that you pass the reference caller’s information to HR and ask them to handle it. If you receive another reference call on him, I would suggest that you share your HR department’s telephone number and explain that you are not able to provide a reference. When an employee steals from their company, an internal investigation is often launched to better understand what has been stolen, if others are involved, what controls should have been in place as well as how to prevent future thefts. If this former employee was given a company credit card and he used it for personal use without authorization, that is theft. Often times, if an employee steals once and is not caught, the theft continues.

You are smart to ask the question.

by Pattie Hunt Sinacole, First Beacon Group LLC


From looking for a job to dealing with the one you have, our Job Docs are here to answer your employment-related questions. Submit your questions here here.

Jump To Comments


This discussion has ended. Please join elsewhere on