Officials: Murder-suicide seen in deaths of parents, two babies, in Arlington

Two infant twin boys had their throats slashed and their mother was probably strangled by the woman’s husband, who then took his own life in the family’s Arlington apartment, according to two law enforcement officials briefed on the investigation.

A Facebook photo shows victims Mei Kum Jones and her twin boys, Colt and Cameron.

One of the officials said, “We presume the husband did it.’’ The officials, who are not authorized to speak publicly about the case, told The Boston Globe that the knife used in the murders has been found.

An autopsy is underway today at the medical examiner’s office to determine the exact cause of death of Scott D. Jones, his wife, Mei Kum Jones, both 43, and and their sons, Colt and Cameron, who would have turned a year old on Nov. 26. The bodies of all four were found at about noon Monday at their home on a quiet street.


The Middlesex County district attorney’s office and the Arlington police have not provided any other details on the case except to say there is no threat to public safety. Arlington Police Chief Frederick Ryan said today he appreciated the public’s patience.

“We recognize the public is seeking information. We appreciate their patience as we go through the investigation. We are confident the person responsible for the crimes is deceased and was found inside the home along with the victims,’’ Ryan said.

The Middlesex district attorney’s office declined to comment.

“We’re still in the middle of the investigation. We’re still awaiting the medical examiner’s report as to the means and manner of death,’’ said MaryBeth Long, spokeswoman for District Attorney Marian Ryan (no relation to the Arlington chief).

Scott D. Jones was a veteran paramedic who had won accolades for saving lives, but last month he filed a whistleblower lawsuit accusing his former employer, LifeLine Ambulance, of firing him for complaining about faulty equipment and protocols. Then, a few days ago, he moved out of the Arlington home he shared with his family.

Outwardly, the Joneses seemed like another happy couple pushing strollers in a sleepy neighborhood of young families, but court records and interviews show that Scott Jones had a long history of troubles at work and at home. His ex-wife said in court records that he had attempted suicide at least twice and struggled with drug and alcohol abuse. He was a licensed paramedic but had been fired in the past, his ex-wife alleged in their divorce. And because of his troubles, he had in the past lost custody of his children.


His ex-wife did not want to comment today.

Neighbors and even Jones’s lawyer in the lawsuit against his former employer said they were unaware of the family’s troubles. Mei Kum Jones was a frequent poster of upbeat messages and photos of her beaming with her two boys on Facebook and other websites. And Scott Jones, they said, seemed happy at home.

“Obviously, we are stunned,’’ said Jones’s civil attorney, Timothy M. Burke, in a telephone interview from his Needham law firm. “There was no indication whatever that there was any family difficulty or that there was any internal conflict ongoing.’’

A business associate who asked not to be identified by name said that in a meeting in October, Jones was both upbeat about his family life and talked about enjoying his role as the father to the twin boys.

Jones’s family, the associate said, was “very much part of his day-to-day life. He talked about his kids and family all the time. Just positive things.’’

In the lawsuit Jones filed in Middlesex Superior Court on Oct. 16, Jones accused LifeLine of inflicting “severe emotional distress’’ on him by firing him after he complained about a medication pump he said was faulty and endangered the life of a disabled woman. He said he had also complained that it was difficult to read the expiration dates on the company’s narcotics.

LifeLine did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

In court records, Jones said LifeLine had hired him in January 2009 as a paramedic, and that he had won numerous awards and commendations in his career, including the Star of Life Award in 2000 in Washington, “one of the highest awards bestowed upon EMS responders for excellence in their profession.’’


He said he also received a letter of recognition from then-Congressman Edward Markey in 2001 for his work after the office shooting at Edgewater Technology in Wakefield in which seven people were killed.

Jones said he had been a licensed paramedic since July 1997. His license is still valid, according to a state database. He earned his associate’s degree from Massachusetts Bay Community College and, he said in court records, he earned another associate’s in X-ray technology from North Shore Community College in 2007.

He said he also earned a bachelor of science degree in business management, with a minor in information systems, from Suffolk University in 2000. The information could not immediately be confirmed.