Boston firefighters battle grease fire in Copley Square Burger King

A two-alarm fire in the kitchen of a Burger King in Copley Square spread into the ductwork of the building before firefighters extinguished it, Boston fire officials said. The brief blaze caused an estimated $100,000 in damage but no injuries.

The fire was discovered around 7:27 a.m. inside the restaurant at 551 Boylston St., a four-story building across from Copley Square. The blaze was out by 8:15 a.m, fire officials said.

“What happens is the grease builds up in the ductwork and if it’s not cleaned properly, the hot gases from the stoves ignite the grease,’’ said fire department spokesman Steve MacDonald. “We first saw a tremendous amount of smoke pouring out of the roof vents, so we got access to the ducts and poured water on them to extinguish it.’’


Firefighters used the building’s drop-down fire escape to get access to the restaurant’s ducts, which were located on the second floor. Boylston Street was closed for about an hour as the fire was extinguished, MacDonald said.

The top two floors of the building are occupied by offices, officials said.

Loading Comments...


Get the latest breaking news sent directly to your phone. Download our free app.