The state fire marshal is investigating a three-alarm fire in a landmark antiques store on Jerusalem Road in Cohasset, officials said.
The blaze broke out at 12:47 p.m. today and engulfed the building, said a Cohasset fire dispatcher. The building housed the Reflections Antique Emporium, according to fire marshal’s spokeswoman Jennifer Mieth.
For several hours, firefighters battled the blaze from outside the building because of the heavy smoke and flames. The fire was extinguished by 3 p.m., said Mieth.
The Cohasset police and fire departments responded to the scene, said a police dispatcher.
Allegra Sedney, who said she has worked at the store for 12 years, said she smelled fumes coming from the building’s furnace when she opened the store this morning.
Sedney, 48, said she immediately called the furnace company and shut off the heat. About two hours later, an oil pipe near the furnace burst into flames, she said.
“I just ran out of the store,’’ she said in a telephone interview. “It was the only thing I could do.’’
Sedney said she was the only one in the building at the time. She did not suffer injuries.
The 20-year-old store sold old furniture and books among other things, said Sedney.
“We had such beautiful stuff,’’ she said tearfully. “And now it’s all gone.’’