April 15, 2013: How Twitter Informed Us

On April 15, 2013, two explosions shattered the euphoria of the Boston Marathon finish line, sending authorities out on the course to carry off the injured while the stragglers were rerouted away from the smoking site of the blasts. David L Ryan/The Boston Globe

In the early hours following the tragic events of April 15, Twitter was a powerful source of information. In the days that followed, Twitter continued to play an important role – though often as a source of misinformation.

[fragment number=0]

The first bomb exploded on Boylston Street near the Boston Marathon finish line at 2:49 pm.

The very first tweets weren’t the most informative.

[fragment number=1]

[fragment number=2]

[fragment number=3]

While it was immediately clear something had happened, it wasn’t clear exactly what.

[fragment number=4]

[fragment number=5]

[fragment number=6]

According to Twitter’s Media Blog, “The Boston Globe normally tweets around 40 times a day. Over the next few hours on April 15, they sent over 150 Tweets.’’


[fragment number=7]

[fragment number=8]

Within minutes, victims were being transported to area hospitals.

[fragment number=9]

Photos began to emerge of the explosions.

[fragment number=10]

Runners who hadn’t completed the race were soon stopped.

[fragment number=11]

The race was canceled.

[fragment number=12]

Boston Police confirmed that an explosion had taken place.

[fragment number=13]

Additional information about the precise location of the explosions soon followed.

[fragment number=14]

[fragment number=15]

[fragment number=16]

All off-duty police officers were ordered to report for duty.

[fragment number=17]

What had happened remained unclear. Confusion and fear ran rampant.

[fragment number=18]

Numbers of injured soon were reported, and quickly rose as information became available.

[fragment number=19]

[fragment number=20]

[fragment number=21]

Meanwhile, at the JFK Library, a fire broke out, causing speculation that the events might be linked.

[fragment number=22]

With cell phone service spotty at best, meeting points were set up to reunite runners and their friends and families.

[fragment number=23]

The Boston Police Department was quickly using social media to gather information about the attack and was seeking anyone with video of the explosions.

[fragment number=24]

A no-fly zone was imposed over the area.

[fragment number=25]

Law enforcement encouraged runners and spectators to leave the area.


[fragment number=26]

Drivers were told by police to “evacuate the city.’’

[fragment number=27]

The Boston Globe confirmed that Martin Richard was among the victims.

[fragment number=28]

SWAT teams were positioned at area hospitals where bombing victims were being treated.

[fragment number=29]

Street closures were put in place around the Back Bay.

[fragment number=30]

The Boston Police Department announced that the FBI had taken over the investigation into the bombings.

[fragment number=31]

Three deaths were confirmed.

[fragment number=32]

Email at [email protected] or follow@lilsarg.


This discussion has ended. Please join elsewhere on Boston.com