A shelter-in-place order on Boylston Street has been lifted and a 25-year-old Boston man is facing charges after police executed a controlled detonation of two suspicious bags left near the Boston Marathon finish line.
Just after 7 p.m. on Tuesday, on the one-year anniversary of last year’s Boston Marathon bombings, police said two backpacks had been found in the area and immediately ordered people to evacuate. Authorities said the backpacks were tied to a man who goes by Kayvon Edson. Edson was captured in several videos marching down Boylston Street in a black veil, wearing a backpack, and chanting “Boston strong.’’
Edson was taken into custody and will be charged with disorderly conduct, disturbing the peace, and possession of a hoax device, NECN reported.
While police used controlled detonations on both bags, authorities said that does not mean they contained any explosives. The detonations were used as a precautionary measure.
We updated the story as it developed. Those updates, including pictures and video from the scene, can be found below.
Update, 10:21 p.m.: The suspect has been identified as Kayvon Edson, according to tweets from WBZ-TV’s Peter Wilson. He also tweeted that the backpack found at the scene contained a rice cooker full of confetti.
Update, 10 p.m.: WBZ-TV is citing a source that claims the suspect told police he had a rice cooker in the backpack he was carrying near the finish line.
Update, 9:53 p.m.: A third video of the suspect has emerged on YouTube:
Update, 9:36 p.m.: Witnesses report a second blast on Boylston Street – again, there is no evidence the bags contained any explosive material, and these booms are possibly only precautionary measures:
Update, 8:53 p.m.: Police have reportedly detonated the bag, shouting “fire in the hole!’’ Second such boom from the scene, according to witnesses.
It’s presumed the bags were detonated as a precautionary measure. So far, there is no evidence to indicate they contained explosives.
Update, 8:38 p.m.: NECN has posted this photo of the alleged suspect being led by police officers.
Update, 8:25 p.m.: Boston Police Spokesperson David Estrada confirms that an adult male suspect was detained and is being questioned by police.
The man, whose identity has not yet been disclosed by authorities, was apprehended at Boylston and Exeter Streets.
Estrada said he was unable to confirm whether one or two bags were found at the scene.
Update, 8:05 p.m.: Fox 25 reports a robot is inspecting the bag.
Update, 8:04 p.m.: Another video of the suspect:
Update, 7:56 p.m.: Transit police on-scene tell Boston.com that a shelter-in-place order is in effect for Boylston Street, and advise those nearby to stay away from windows.
Green Line service continues to bypass the Copley MBTA stop.
Update, 7:40 p.m.: Bomb squad is on the scene:
Update, 7:35 p.m.: Boston Police confirm they are investigating and ask people to avoid the area:
Update, 7:24 p.m.: WHDH-TV reporter Sarah French posted this video of the alleged suspect on Instagram:
Original Story: WBZ News is reporting that the area near the Boston Marathon finish line was quickly evacuated after two unattended bags were discovered:
The area near the street, as well as Copley Square station, have been closed. The MBTA advises riders use Hynes or Arlington for service.
This story is developing and will be updated with more information as it becomes available.