Father of Lynn Boys Scalded By Bathwater Calls Incident a “Tragic Mistake’’

The father of two Lynn toddlers who received second degree burns from bathwater told Fox 25 News the incident was a “tragic mistake.’’

Joe Young, the father of Landon, 2, and Leland, 3, told Fox that he is focusing on getting his sons better. Charlie Collins-Robinson, 21, was watching the boys last week when they were burned.

Young says he was on his way to work when he got a phone call informing him that his sons were hurt. He says Collins-Robinson was apologizing.

The toddlers were allegedly left unattended, allowing one of them to turn the hot water on.

“Me getting mad and upset is just going to take my focus away from the boys, and that’s where my focus needs to stay right now,’’ Young told Fox.


According to the report, Landon was up and playing with toys this weekend, but Leland, who was burned on over 60 percent of his body, is still sedated and unconscious.

Leland reportedly responds to his fathers voice and touch, moving his fingers when his dad holds his hand. “It’s comforting that he knows I’m there,’’ Young said to Fox.

The Lynn Fire Department is still investigating the incident and Young told Fox he doesn’t have all the facts yet. “Obviously he left them unattended,’’ he said. “I’m leaving that up to the Lynn police.’’

On June 18 The Boston Globe reported that the babysitter’s father told reporters: “He’s in shock; he’s all messed up. He loved them, and they loved him, but he did something stupid by leaving them in that bathtub.’’

A Facebook page has been made to track updates on the boys’ conditions, and a fundraiser to benefit Leland and Landon’s medical expenses will be held on Sunday, June 29 at Casual Cuts Hair Salon in Peabody.

Loading Comments...