Harvard Buildings Reopened After Bomb Threat

Harvard University has reopened several buildings following evacuations this morning after the Harvard police department received a call from a man who claimed to be armed and on campus, and said he had placed bombs at several campus buildings.

The evacuations were ordered after the phone call was received after 9:30 a.m. The Harvard Science Center was among the buildings evacuated.

“While officials responded immediately and no indication was found to substantiate the threat, the buildings were evacuated out of an abundance of caution,’’ a statement from the university read.

University police responded to the locations the unidentified man described, but could not locate the individual, according to Harvard spokesman Kevin Donovan.


Authorities are investigating the source of the call.

The buildings were secured at 1:40 p.m. after being searched by a team of law enforcement personnel including Cambridge police, Harvard police, the Cambridge Fire Department, and bomb squads. Nothing was found in the buildings.

Police received multiple reports of suspicious packages on Harvard’s campus this morning, according to Cambridge Police spokesman Jeremy Warnick.

The packages were located at Prescott Street, the Harvard Science Center, and Harvard Yard.

Law enforcement officials investigated what appeared to be a non-threatening package at Prescott Street.

“Police identified a package at Prescott, but it does not appear to be a threat,’’ Warnick told Boston.com. “They are just taking the proper precautions.’’

There were also reports of a man with an assault rifle at the science center, but that person has not been located, according to Warnick.

“Police swept the area and did not find anyone that matched that description,’’ Warnick said.

Police also did not locate anything suspicious at the science center.

FBI agents are working to identify two people who claimed responsibility on Twitter, according to the Associated Press.

There have been no arrests made. Harvard University police and the FBI are continuing to investigate the incident.

Loading Comments...