Hazmat Situation, Evacuations, Following Fire in Lawrence

A fire at a metal finishing company on Ballard Road in Lawrence burned through the night Sunday causing a hazmat situation.

NECN reports that at least eight residents had been evacuated from their homes nearby. Four firefighters were hospitalized and treated for minor injuries.

Lawrence Fire received a call at 1:30a.m. and were met with yellow smoke. The fire, which occurred at the building housing N-Tek Inc., was upgraded to a “Tier 2’’ situation, meaning additional manpower was required to contain the flames. According to NECN, nitric acid was leaking in the building and a vapor cloud formed above the building.

Advertisement

Loading Comments...

Close
Catch up with The Boston Globe for free.
Get The Globe's free newsletter, Today's Headlines, every morning.
Thanks for signing up!