Green Dragon Tavern Avoids Penalty for Fatal Heroin OD in Bathroom

Boston’s Licensing Board decided not to take any action against the Green Dragon Tavern Thursday, after a man was found dead of an apparent heroin overdose in one of its bathrooms in June.

The North End tavern was initially issued a violation for allegedly failing to take “reasonable and diligent’’ efforts to ensure that illegal activity does not occur on the premises, The Boston Herald reported.

A string of recent fatal overdoses in public bathrooms has prompted the Boston Public Health Commission to plan training this fall to help business owners try to prevent similar tragedies, according to BPHC spokesperson McKenzie Ridings. The overdose prevention trainings will initially be geared toward businesses in Downtown Boston, the South End, Roxbury, Dorchester, South Boston, Charlestown and East Boston. They will eventually expand this offering of training to the whole city.


General Manager Tim Moody of The Green Dragon Tavern declined to comment to on the most recent hearing, but The Herald reported that he told the Licensing Board that the bar has “changed its procedures’’ since the overdose, with staff “checking the bathrooms to make sure they’re clean’’ and “making sure they can see a person’s shoes beneath every stall.’’

Loading Comments...