Independent candidate Evan Falchuk, who filed a lawsuit last week against the hosts of Monday’s gubernatorial debate after they uninvited him from the debate, won’t be appearing on the stage tonight.
“I’m disappointed but glad we had our day in court,’’ Falchuk said. “It’s unfortunate that in our democratic process people like me have to file lawsuits to get included in debates.’’
Falchuk hoped a Suffolk County judge would compel the debate hosts to include him, saying the uninvitation was a breach of contract. The judge ruled Monday afternoon that the hosts of the debate — the Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce, NECN, and the Worcester Telegram and Gazette — were not legally obligated to include independent candidates in the events they sponsor.
“Media outlets are entitled to make their own decisions about what information deserves the public’s attention,’’ Judge Linda Giles said at the hearing.
Falchuk has been by far the most vocal of the three indie candidates — all of whom have been polling in the low single digits — about the exclusion of indie candidates in major gubernatorial debates this year.
Falchuk told Boston.com that his lawsuit was not a ploy for media attention, but part of his ongoing efforts to “allow our voters to learn about all the candidates.’’
“This [exclusion] shows an appalling lack of awareness of serious problems that the people of our commonwealth face,’’ Falchuk said. “To exclude people from the debates shows an almost disdain for voters.’’