A previously unseen photo of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev giving the middle finger to a federal court holding cell security camera was shown to jurors during the first day of the trial’s sentencing phase.
“He was determined and destined to be America’s worst nightmare,’’ Assistant U.S. Attorney Nadine Pellegrini told jurors as the photo was unveiled.
The photo, taken on July 10, 2013 — three months after he and his brother set off two bombs at the Boston Marathon — offered a rare glimpse into the mindset of Tsarnaev, who has shown little — if any — emotion during the trial.
“Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was and is unrepentant, uncaring, and untouched about even half the sorrow he has created,’’ Pellegrini said.
Christina Sterling, a spokeswoman for the US Attorney’s office, told Boston.com that since the photo wasn’t entered into evidence, it will not immediately be released publicly. Should the government opt to enter the photo into evidence, it would then be released by prosecutors, Sterling confirmed.
Tsarnaev faces the death penalty after he was found guilty of 30 different charges for setting off the bombs that killed three and injured over 260 at the 2013 Boston Marathon. Prosecutors and defense attorneys will argue over the next few weeks about whether or not Tsarnaev deserves to die for his crimes.
The sentencing phase is expected to last for approximately three to four weeks.
Follow here for live updates from the courtroom.