SWAT team raids the wrong house, holds couple and young kids

Bryant Alequin and seven-year-old daughter Nayomi Matos at their apartment, which a SWAT team mistakenly raided.
Bryant Alequin and seven-year-old daughter Nayomi Matos at their apartment, which a SWAT team mistakenly raided. –Jan Ransom/The Boston Globe

Bryant Alequin was in the bathroom of his apartment getting ready for work at 5:30 on Wednesday morning when about 10 police officers burst in to execute a search warrant. Their guns were drawn, and Alequin said they yelled at him, his fiancée and her 7-year-old and 18-month-old daughters. They handcuffed Alequin.

Turns out, they had the wrong man. The person who the Worcester police were looking for wasn’t in the apartment.

“The search warrant was executed based on the best intelligence at the time,’’ the district attorney’s office said in a statement. “He (the target) had been in the dwelling in the days before the execution of the search warrant.’’

Advertisement

Police had raided the apartment before, but not since Marianne Diaz, her children and Alequin moved there in May. The person that used to live in the apartment has a criminal record, but Diaz and her family do not, according to CBS Boston.

“It was terrorizing, and the worst thing I’ve ever been through in my life,’’ Diaz told CBS Boston. “They were loud, vulgar, and disgusting in behavior. I just want there to be a full-on investigation, and give us an explanation as to why they did this to my family and why they terrorized us the way they did.’’

While at a Mayor’s Cup event in Dorchester Sunday, Gov. Charlie Baker said he found the incident troubling.

“You hope something like this never happens,’’ he was quoted as saying in a Globe report. “I am going to let the investigation play out before I say anything.’’

The family has not yet decided if they will file a lawsuit, according the CBS Boston report.

Loading Comments...