Boston Mayor Marty Walsh isn’t ready to close Boston’s door to refugees following the acts of terrorism in Paris.
“As a city and as a country it is not our custom to turn our backs on people who are in need and who are innocent,’’ Walsh said in a statement released Monday afternoon.
According to the statement, Walsh has yet to receive any formal guidance from state or federal authorities in light of Friday’s terrorist attacks, which claimed the lives of at least 129 people and injured more than 300 others.
Walsh said the city will work with local and federal authorities to ensure the safety of Bostonians, should refugees be accepted.
Earlier on Monday, Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker announced that “as of right now’’ he is “not interested in accepting refugees from Syria,’’ according to The Boston Globe.
Baker is one of a number of governors who have announced they will not accept Syrian refugees following the attacks in Paris.
According to authorities, at least one of the Paris attackers had a Syrian passport and is suspected of having entered Greece in October, the Globe reported.
Photos from Paris: