Local

4-alarm Mattapan fire sends 2 residents, 1 firefighter to hospital

Photo courtesy Boston Fire Department

A four-alarm fire in Mattapan has injured one firefighter and sent two people to the hospital Monday after an accident with a piece of dental equipment sparked the blaze, according to the Boston Fire Department.

Firefighters responded at 4:05 p.m. to a house on Babson Street near Mattapan Square, authorities said. When firefighters arrived at the building, which serves as both a home and dentist’s office, an elderly man told firefighters that his son was still inside, according to the fire department.

Firefighters rescued the man’s son, and both were treated at the scene by Boston EMS before being transported to a hospital for further treatment, authorities said. Their conditions were not known as of 6:30 p.m.

Advertisement:

One firefighter suffered a non life-threatening injury and was transported from the scene. Authorities estimate that the blaze caused around $500,000 in damage.

[fragment number=0]

Conversation

This discussion has ended. Please join elsewhere on Boston.com