Local

UMass Dartmouth student dead of accidental drug overdose

A-20-year-old male student at the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth was found dead in his dorm room Friday night of an apparent accidental drug overdose, according to a school spokesman.

The student was not identifed.

Campus police received a call at around 11 p.m. to check on the well-being of a student, said John Hoey, an assistant chancellor of the school.

The student was pronounced dead at the scene, Hoey said.

He declined further comment.

Students were notified of the incident in an e-mail sent at around 2:42 a.m. by the university’s acting chancellor, Gerry Kavanaugh.

“As we prepare to help his loved ones grieve, let us honor his life by reflecting on the fragility of our own lives. Let us consider the importance of living every day with purpose and looking out for each other,’’ Kavanaugh wrote.

Kavanaugh also commended the repsonse of the university’s student affairs, housing and public safety departments for their response to the incident.

Jump To Comments

Conversation

This discussion has ended. Please join elsewhere on Boston.com