Two hours after Boston.com published an article about Uber’s response after a reporter experienced sexual harassment from one of its drivers, an Uber spokesperson told the reporter that the “driver is no longer active on the platform.”
Carlie Waibel, the spokesperson for Uber New England, said in a second conversation with another reporter later Friday that she could not say when the driver was “removed,” or whether the decision was his or the company’s, citing “privacy.”
She refused to say whether the driver’s removal was directly related to the 5 a.m. posting of reporter Allison Pohle’s account of her experience with the driver — which involved the driver offering her oral sex and then locking the doors when they arrived at her destination. Over the last month while Pohle reported the story, which included two phone conversations and more than a dozen emails with Waibel, Uber declined to say whether the driver was still accepting rides — until this morning.
Customer service representatives, and then Waibel, told Pohle that the driver would receive “coaching opportunities” on “what kind of communication is appropriate.”