A mother and her 8-year-old daughter were reunited in Boston. They were separated 55 days ago after crossing the U.S. border.

"Forgive me, my child, forgive me."

Boston, MA  - July 05, 2018: Angelica Rebeca Gonzalez-Garcia comforts her 8-year-old daughter, Sandy, during a press conference, after being reunited at Logan International Airport in Boston, MA on July 05, 2018. The little girl was taken from her at the US-Mexican border after she and her mother fled Guatemala fearing for their lives and seeking asylum in the US. It has been nearly two months since Gonzalez-Garcia has seen her child. She sued the federal government last week demanding the immediate release of the little girl.  (Four nearly identical federal lawsuits, all demanding the immediate release of their children who were forcibly taken from them at the US-Mexican border as a result of the Trump administration?s zero-tolerance policy for people who enter the country illegally. All four mothers were told the same thing: A recent rule change by the federal government now requires everyone in the house where they will reside be fingerprinted for criminal and immigration background checks, a process that could take weeks. The children have been placed in a system designed for those who actually enter the country without parents and are captive to bureaucratic malaise -- or cruelty depending on who's asked.) (Craig F. Walker/Globe Staff) section: metro  reporter:
Angelica Rebeca Gonzalez-Garcia comforts her 8-year-old daughter during a Thursday press conference. –Craig F. Walker / The Boston Globe

BOSTON (AP) — A Guatemalan woman seeking asylum was reunited with her 8-year-old daughter Thursday, nearly two months after they were forcibly separated when they crossed the U.S.-Mexico border.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Massachusetts tweeted that the daughter, who was identified only as S.K., arrived at Boston’s Logan Airport Thursday afternoon, where she was greeted by her mother, Angelica Rebeca Gonzalez-Garcia, and a crowd of supporters.

“Forgive me, my child, forgive me,” Gonzalez-Garcia can be heard sobbing to her daughter in Spanish as the two embraced in a short video posted in Twitter.

The ACLU and two Boston-area law firms filed an emergency lawsuit in federal court demanding the immediate reunification of the family last week. The suit was among dozens filed across the country after Republican President Donald Trump ended his administration’s controversial practice of separating migrant children from their parents.


Gonzalez-Garcia said at the time the lawsuit was filed that the two had been apprehended crossing the border in Arizona in May and were later sent to separate facilities. Gonzalez-Garcia was eventually released in Colorado and settled in Massachusetts, but her daughter remained in a Texas shelter.

The girl was returned to her mother after her legal team, with the help of U.S. Rep. Katherine Clark, a Massachusetts Democrat, pushed to expedite the process of designating Gonzalez-Garcia as the girl’s legal sponsor, said Matthew Segal, legal director for the ACLU of Massachusetts.

Immigration officials had deemed the girl an “unaccompanied minor” and required Gonzalez-Garcia to go through fingerprinting and other screening measures that her legal team argued would take weeks if not months.

“The big obstacle has been that the government was treating them as strangers and making them go through procedures that were not at all appropriate” in this situation, Segal said. “There was never any dispute that she was this girl’s mother and that this was her daughter.”


Get the latest sports alerts sent directly to your phone. Download our free app.