New York man bitten by shark on Cape now in ‘good condition’

William Lytton, 61, was wading off Long Nook Beach in Truro when he was attacked.

Long Nook Beach in Truro.

The 61-year-old man who sustained deep puncture wounds to his torso and leg when he was bitten by a shark off a Cape Cod beach earlier this month is now in “good condition,” a Tufts Medical Center spokesman said Thursday.

William Lytton, of Scarsdale, New York, was airlifted for medical treatment after he was attacked while wading about 30 yards off Long Neck Beach in Truro on Aug. 15. The town announced days later that the beach would remain closed to swimming “until further notice.”

Lytton was the first person to be attacked by a shark off the coast of Massachusetts since 2012, when a man was bitten off Ballston Beach in Truro.

Advertisement

“The family has requested privacy at this time,” Tufts spokesman Jeremy Lechan told Boston.com.

There has been heightened awareness on Cape Cod beaches since the attack, with several beaches being quickly shut down for swimming after a shark was seen in the waters close by. Officials and researchers with the Atlantic White Shark Conservancy have urged swimmers on the Cape to use the research group’s free app “Sharktivity,” which provides information on white shark sightings and movements in the region.