New Bedford woman charged after son swallows heroin, deemed a danger

NEW BEDFORD, Mass. (AP) — A Massachusetts woman whose toddler swallowed a bag of fentanyl-laced heroin has been deemed a danger and held for 120 days without bail.

The Standard-Times reports that prosecutors told a judge Thursday that 30-year-old Saranah Raposa at first did not tell first responders her 21-month-old son may have ingested drugs, but just told them he had choked on a piece of plastic in her New Bedford apartment.

They say that delay could have cost the child his life.

Raposa is charged with reckless endangerment and assault and battery on a child with a dangerous weapon.

Her attorney argued for bail because she did not act intentionally.


The child was given Narcan in the hospital after swallowing the drugs late last month. He has since been released and is improving.


Get the latest breaking news sent directly to your phone. Download our free app.