2 drivers arraigned on charges in connection to apparent road rage incident on Mass. Pike

Authorities say a minor collision between the two men escalated to one of them driving down I-90 with the other clinging to the car hood.

still frame grab from video - Richard Kamrowski  of Framingham, clinging onto another driver’s hood after the car was stopped,  on the Mass. Pike on Friday January 25, 2019. credit: Mrs. Schur
Richard Kamrowski, during Friday's incident. –Mrs. Schur

The two men involved in Friday’s apparent road rage incident on the Mass. Pike, which was caught on video, were arraigned separately Monday in Waltham District Court.

A not-guilty plea was entered on behalf of Mark Fitzgerald, 37, of Ashland, who has been charged with assault with a dangerous weapon on a person over 60, negligent operation of a motor vehicle, and leaving the scene of a property damage accident, according to the Middlesex District Attorney’s office.

Mark Fitzgerald, in court Monday. —Faith Ninivaggi / Pool

Richard Kamrowski, 65, of Framingham, was arraigned for the charges of disorderly conduct and malicious damage to a motor vehicle.

Police say that Fitzgerald and Kamrowski were involved in a “minor, side-swipe collision” as they were driving westbound on I-90 in Weston on Friday afternoon. They say the 65-year-old pulled over in the left lane, got out of his car, and attempted to exchange paperwork with the 37-year-old driver still inside his car.


“That encounter became adversarial,” police said, “and at some point, Kamrowski retrieved a water bottle from the interior of Fitzgerald’s vehicle before taking a position in front of that vehicle. Fitzgerald then began driving towards Kamrowski, who subsequently jumped up on the hood of Fitzgerald’s vehicle.”

Fitzgerald allegedly continued to drive with the older man on the hood of his car, at times going as fast as 70 mph, for two or three miles on the Pike, even as other drivers attempted to get him to stop. Police said while he was on the hood of the car, Kamrowski used the water bottle to break the windshield of the moving car.

Police received calls about the incident around 4:43 p.m. on Friday, but it was a driver and licensed gun owner who stopped Fitzgerald, ordering him out of his car at gunpoint and detaining him until troopers arrived at the scene.

Surrounding drivers captured the incident on video.

Kamrowski’s lawyer, Joseph Comenzo, called the experience “incredibly scary” for his client on Monday, according to The Boston Globe. He said his client, who was released on his own personal recognizance Monday, was on his way home from work at the time and was not the aggressor.


“All he was looking to do is exchange information,” he said, according to the Globe.

Richard Kamrowski leaves court Monday. —David L. Ryan / The Boston Globe

Fitzgerald was released on $500 cash bail, and ordered to stay away from Kamrowski and not to drive without a license, according to the DA’s office. 

According to CBS Boston, the 37-year-old’s attorney said his client was afraid for his life during the incident.

Kamrowski was also ordered to have no contact with Fitzgerald. Both men are scheduled to return to court on March 13, according to the DA’s office.


Get the latest breaking news sent directly to your phone. Download our free app.