FROM

Police: Drug trafficker offered $30,000 for shooting that wounded David Ortiz

National Police spokesman Frank Félix Duran Mejía held a news conference in Santo Domingo on Sunday. –Orlando Barria for The Boston Globe

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic — Police say a suspected drug trafficker offered to pay $30,000 for the shooting that wounded baseball slugger David Ortiz, who was sitting near the intended victim.

National Police spokesman Frank Félix Duran Mejía told a news conference on Sunday that the alleged mastermind of the attack had so far paid only $10,000 to people hired to arrange the killing of Sixto David Fernández, his cousin.

Officials previously said the perpetrators were hired for roughly $7,800.