Family hopes driver will come forward in Brewster hit-and-run that left cyclist in coma

"We are hoping that somebody with a conscience will come forward.”

Connor Long.
Connor Long. –Laurie Kirby

Three days after a hit-and-run that left a Cape Cod cyclist in a coma, police are still looking for answers.

Connor Long, 32, was hit by a car around 9:30 p.m. Tuesday on Millstone Road in Brewster, just around the corner from his home. He was in a coma until around 2 p.m. Friday when family say he communicated for the first time by giving a thumbs up.

Brewster Police Chief Heath Eldredge said Long was struck from behind and left lying on the side of the road.

Police are trying to find the driver of a light-colored sedan hatchback — possibly with a roof rack — that was seen leaving the area around the time of the crash. It’s unclear whether the car was involved or just in the area.


At least two passersby stopped to help Long, Eldredge said, even cutting his backpack from his shoulders and using a pillowcase to try and stop the bleeding from his head.

Laurie Kirby and Connor Long. —Laurie Kirby

Long was flown to Tufts Medical Center and underwent two surgeries to reduce swelling in his brain, his aunt, Laurie Kirby, said.

Kirby said Long suffered multiple fractures, including to his pelvic bone, tibia, and spine.

She called Long an avid biker and musician and said he was recently accepted to Fitchburg State University where he plans to study video game design. Kirby said their family is tight-knit and recently went out to celebrate Long’s college acceptance.

Eldredge said police often rely on members of the community to come forward in cases like this and urged anyone who saw something Tuesday night — even something they think is insignificant — to call Brewster PD.

“We’re trying to find that missing puzzle piece,” he said. “Somebody out there definitely has that information we need.”

Kirby said she and the family thank everyone who has kept Long in their thoughts.

“My family is in debt to Brewster first responders, the chief of police in Brewster, and the two good Samaritans who stopped to help Connor,” she said.


She also said Long was supposed to fly to Austin, Texas, on Wednesday to pick up some of his recently-deceased father’s belongings and wanted to let his friends in Texas know why he didn’t show.

Long’s family is feeling hopeful since he started to communicate Friday afternoon, Kirby said, but they still just want to know what happened.

“We are hoping that somebody with a conscience will come forward,” she said. “It’s really important to the family. It’s going to be really important to Connor.”