11 firefighters, 1 resident hospitalized after South End hazmat response

First responders found noxious fumes emanating from a mixture of cleaning products, officials said.

Eleven firefighters and one resident were hospitalized Friday afternoon after a Level 3 hazmat response forced the evacuation of a five-story rooming house in the South End, Boston Fire Department officials said.

Crews responded to a report of noxious fumes on the third floor of the building at 1740 Washington St. around 12:15 p.m., according to a department tweet.

Firefighters found that the odor was caused by a mixture of cleaning supplies, Deputy Chief Robert Calobrisi told reporters.

“The building was ventilated and there were zero readings on the meters,” officials said in a tweet.

The firefighters and resident were taken to the hospital for precautionary evaluations, Brian Alkins, a department spokesperson, told Boston.com.


According to Alkins, the building is home to 32 people, but it was unclear Friday afternoon how many people were inside at the time of the incident.

Firefighters remained on scene as of 2:30 p.m.


Get the latest breaking news sent directly to your phone. Download our free app.