STONEHAM, Mass. (AP) — Fire investigators say a battery-powered hoverboard was to blame for a fire that severely damaged a home in Stoneham last month.
Stoneham Fire Chief Matthew Grafton and state Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey said Thursday a teenager in the home escaped through a second-floor window and a dog was treated for smoke inhalation. Damages to the single-family home in the Oct. 12 blaze are estimated at $200,000.
Investigators say the fire started on the first floor at the hoverboard left charging underneath the kitchen table.
The fire was ruled accidental, but it remains unclear whether there was a failure of the hoverboard itself, the charger, or if the hoverboard had been left plugged in for too long.
Grafton says hoverboards should never be left unattended or on a flammable surface while charging.