Two people were hospitalized after a structure fire ravaged Jackson’s Variety in Fairhaven on Monday.
Neighbors helped the two evacuate the second floor of the building, 7News reported. Both victims were being treated for burns and smoke inhalation.
Officials said the blaze began on the second floor at 114 Sconticut Neck Road, and heavy smoke could be seen drifting through the air from down the road.
Locals told reporters on scene that Jackson’s has been in the community for more than 50 years.
— Kerri Corrado (@KerriCorrado) February 3, 2020
The building almost 100 years old, the store within a family for generations. Did you shop at Jackson’s Variety? https://t.co/IjkWV5XQhC
— Molly O’Brien (@MollyjoOBrien) February 3, 2020
While the fire was still under investigation, officials didn’t believe the building would be salvageable, according to WPRI.
— Erica Ricci (@RicciReports) February 3, 2020