Demonstrators will protest Wednesday to have police shooting cases reopened in Mass.

Mass Action Against Police Brutality wants Gov. Charlie Baker to assign a special prosecutor to look at the cases.

Artist Cedric "Vice1" Douglas distributes his yellow tape with the words "Don't Shoot" to local protests and ships it around the country. Families whose loved ones have died at the hands of police are planning a demonstration at the Statehouse on Wednesday, Sept. 9. –Pat Greenhouse/Globe Staff

BOSTON (AP) — Supporters of eight Massachusetts families whose loved ones have died at the hands of police are planning a demonstration at the Statehouse on Wednesday to ask the governor to reopen past cases of what they call police brutality.

The families along with the organization Mass Action Against Police Brutality want Gov. Charlie Baker to assign a special prosecutor to look at the cases.

The protest, planned for 5 p.m. Wednesday outside the Statehouse, is being held in solidarity and support of the family of Jacob Blake, the Black man from Kenosha, Wisconsin shot in the back by a white officer last month. The shooting sparked days of sometimes violent protests.

Advertisement

“The government of Massachusetts has routinely refused to indict, much less convict and jail any officer that has taken the life of a civilian,” Brock Satter, an organizer for Mass Action Against Police Brutality, said in a statement.

The families of DJ Henry, Eurie Stamps, Malcolm Gracia, Burell Ramsey-White, Ross Batista, Usaamah Rahim, Terrence Coleman, and Juston Root are all currently involved in efforts to have their cases reopened.

Representatives of several of the families are expected to attend Wednesday’s demonstration, Satter said.

Get Boston.com's browser alerts:

Enable breaking news notifications straight to your internet browser.

Turn on notifications

Great, you’re signed up!

Jump To Comments
Close

Get the latest breaking news sent directly to your phone. Download our free app.