A Fall River grocery store owner says he regrets taking part in the mob that stormed the Capitol building in Washington, D.C., last week.
Mike St. Pierre, who owns Family Foods Grocery Outlet, told WHDH that he has been interviewed by the FBI about his participation and that his attendance at the riot — captured on social media — where five people died, has cost him some business.
“I regret that I went,” he said.
The 44-year-old Swansea resident told the news station that he first went to President Donald Trump’s speech before he joined the crowds that marched to the Capitol building on Jan. 6.
The president’s remarks have been widely condemned as inciting his supporters to storm the halls of Congress. On Wednesday, the U.S. House of Representatives voted to impeach Trump a second time, charging him with “incitement of insurrection.”
Outside the Capitol, St. Pierre and the group he was with stayed about 50 yards from the building until police started to push back crowds by firing tear gas, which he took issue with, he said.
“There’s old people, there’s people with canes and stuff,” St. Pierre told WHDH. “So, when they threw the tear gas into the crowd, I got upset.”
— Jonathan Hall (@JHall7news) January 14, 2021
According to The Herald News, St. Pierre posted videos of himself in Washington, D.C., that day online, including one in which he is heard saying he wants to grab Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi by her hair and spin her around.
In a separate TikTok video, St. Pierre can be seen throwing an object at a Capitol building door.
Despite speculation the object was a smoke bomb, St. Pierre said he threw a piece of a flag topper that had broken off, WHDH reports. He said he did not go inside the building nor did his actions harm anyone else.
“It bounced off the door, I left shortly after that,” he explained. “You get carried away and at the end of the day I am aggravated and I am hurt by it. I am still hurt by it because I shouldn’t have even gotten involved with it to begin with.”
The FBI interviewed him at his house earlier this week, he told The Herald News, adding that “I told them everything that happened.”
According to WHDH, the law enforcement agency asked him if he was a member of the far-right group, the Proud Boys. He said he is not.
“That was my birthday so it made it even worse,” he told the outlet. “It was just a disgusting time. I still feel sick to my stomach about the whole event.”
In speaking to The Herald News, St. Pierre said that he is “not a violent guy.”
“But I did get caught up in the moment,” he said.
He also told the newspaper he is “kind of mad at Trump” and thinks the president should have known he was inciting people to commit violence.
St. Pierre said he believed the presidential election was rigged but ultimately saw no proof of fraud.
“I kind of wish I’d never gone, and I’m done with politics,” he told the newspaper. “It’s not worth it.”
Get Boston.com's browser alerts:
Enable breaking news notifications straight to your internet browser.