Local

Charges dropped against man accused of sexually assaulting woman aboard ferry

The Cape and Islands District Attorney's Office said it declined to prosecute after talking to the alleged victim and her family.

David L. Ryan / The Boston Globe, File

Charges have been dropped against a 20-year-old Dorchester man accused of raping an 18-year-old woman while aboard the Martha’s Vineyard ferry.

Bruno Sanches DeJesus faced two counts of rape following the alleged sexual asault on Monday, June 7.

Prosecutors have since dropped the charges after speaking with the alleged victim and her family, a spokeswoman for the Cape and Islands District Attorney told The Boston Globe. The charges were dropped via a nolle prosequi, which is a decision not to prosecute.

RELATED:

At the time, prosecutors said the two didn’t know each other before meeting on the ferry, which was bound for Woods Hole. Then, the two made their way to the parking area on the ferry, and it was alleged that Sanches DeJesus raped the victim there.

Advertisement:

However, Sanches DeJesus’s attorney said there wasn’t any force involved, and that he had cell phone videos to prove it. Sanches DeJesus had been ordered held on $25,000 cash bail in connection with the charges.

Jump To Comments

Conversation

This discussion has ended. Please join elsewhere on Boston.com