Local

Cambridge fire and hazmat incident sends 12 firefighters to hospital, displaces 4 residents

Firefighters encountered a chemical reaction at the scene, officials said.

Twelve firefighters were hospitalized and four residents were displaced early Wednesday morning after a Cambridge apartment building caught fire and a chemical reaction prompted a hazmat response.

Firefighters responded to a fire at 355 Massachusetts Ave., where smoke was showing from the building around 12:47 a.m., the Cambridge Fire Department wrote in a tweet.

A dozen firefighters suffered non-life-threatening injuries and were brought to hospitals “due to a chemical reaction with peroxide and ammonia stored in an apartment,” officials said.

Many of the injured firefighters were hazmat technicians, the department said in a subsequent tweet. The Boston Fire HazMat Task Force and the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services responded to the scene to assist.

Advertisement:

All 12 firefighters were later released from hospitals.

“The incident scene should be clear within the next couple of hours,” the department said in a tweet around 8:11 a.m.

According to officials, four residents were displaced.

“The circumstances of the incident are under investigation,” the department wrote in a tweet.

Jump To Comments

Conversation

This discussion has ended. Please join elsewhere on Boston.com