Plymouth woman dies from injuries after house fire

A neighbor and firefighter who were injured during the blaze are recovering, according to a statement.

Authorities on Monday identified the 69-year-old woman who died from her injuries after an accidental fire in her home last Wednesday, according to a statement from the state Department of Fire Services.

Cathleen Drinan died Saturday after sustaining serious injuries from the fire at her Braunecker Road home, according to officials.

“We at the Plymouth Fire Department want to express our deepest condolences to the victim’s family and loved ones,” Chief G. Edward Bradley said in the statement. “Older adults face a heightened risk of dying in a fire, so it’s especially important for them to have working smoke alarms on every level of the home and to practice a home escape plan.”


A neighbor and a Plymouth firefighter were also injured that night, according to officials. Both were taken to nearby hospitals and are recovering.

Investigators think the fire started “with an unspecified electrical event” in the first-floor living room, where they found a surge protector and various electrical devices in the debris, according to the statement.

“Electrical issues are the second-leading cause of residential fire deaths in Massachusetts,” said state Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey. “Always plug space heaters and other appliances directly into a wall socket rather than a power strip or extension cord. Remember not to overload a power strip with too many devices, and when charging devices like laptops and phones, place them on hard, stable surfaces rather than beds or sofas.”

Due to the holiday season, officials urged residents to check the wires on any lights used to decorate Christmas trees and wreaths, and to water trees regularly: a small fire near a dry tree can engulf a room in seconds. 


This discussion has ended. Please join elsewhere on Boston.com