MEDFORD, Mass. (AP) — The president of Tufts University announced Monday that he will step down in summer 2023.
Anthony Monaco did not disclose in a letter to the campus community his future plans but said that “after 12 years the time will be right for the community to welcome a new leader, one with a bold vision and fresh energy who can steer Tufts to seize every opportunity it deserves.”
He said there is much he wants to achieve in the year and a half he has left at the helm, including “continuing to strengthen our academic mission,” and completing the university’s Brighter World fundraising campaign, which has so far raised $1.28 billion toward its $1.5 billion goal.
“Serving as president of this great university has been an incredible personal and professional journey for me,” said Monaco, who took over the school with about 12,000 students in fall 2011.
During Monaco’s time at Tufts, the school has hired more faculty, increased financial aid, improved its physical plant, built new facilities, and doubled its endowment to about $2.8 billion, trustees Chair Peter Dolan said in a statement.
“On behalf of the board, I wanted to express my immense appreciation to Tony for his tenure as president of Tufts, during which he continues to lead the university to unprecedented heights as an institution of great renown and excellence while fostering a truly diverse and inclusive community,” Dolan said.
Trustees will form a search committee to find Monaco’s successor, he said.
Monaco is the latest president of a high-profile Massachusetts college to announce their resignation. Massachusetts Institite of Technology President L. Rafael Reif announced last week that he would step down, and Amherst College President Carolyn “Biddy” Martin announced her resignation in September.
A neuroscientist and geneticist by training, Monaco came to Tufts from Oxford University, where he held several posts, including pro-vice chancellor for planning and resources.