A fundraiser has been launched to help the family of one of the two workers killed last week in what officials have called a “tragic incident” at a Boston construction site.
Jordan Romero, 28, and Carlos Gutierres, 32, were working for Atlantic Coast Utilities Wednesday when they were killed. A fundraiser has been started on behalf of Romero’s family to assist with funeral expenses. Romero leaves behind a wife and two children.
As of Monday, the GoFundMe page had raised more than $2,600 toward a goal of $15,000.
Authorities are investigating the circumstances that resulted in the death of Romero and Gutierres. Officials have said first responders were called on Wednesday to the scene near 190 High St. around 8 a.m. for reports that pedestrians had been struck by a truck. Upon arrival at the scene, where Atlantic Coast Utilities had been doing an emergency sewer repair, first responders located the bodies of two men in a hole in the street, which family members have said was about 20 feet deep.
According to the Boston Globe, the utilities company and its owner have a “lengthy history” of workplace safety violations and legal disputes. The investigation into the incident is being directed by Suffolk District Attorney Rachael Rollins.
Romero’s sister, Leslie Villalobos, told WHDH her brother’s two children are currently living in El Salvador, where he was originally from. He had been trying to find a way to make the money needed to bring them to live with him in Lynn, she said.
“He just wanted to work really hard for his kids. … He always told me, ‘Life is gonna get tough, but you got to push forward, keep going,’” Villalobos told the Boston Globe.
Get Boston.com's browser alerts:
Enable breaking news notifications straight to your internet browser.