Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. Vegas gunman’s motive still a mystery
Stephen Paddock led such a low-key, private life that no one seemed to know him well, and those who did had no clue he was capable of killing 58 people and injuring hundreds more.
2. GOP leaders open to banning gun accessory used in Vegas
Senior Republicans on Capitol Hill are expressing openness to the idea of banning the “bump stocks” the shooter in Las Vegas apparently used to make semi-automatic rifles fire more like fully automatic weapons.
3. Witness links nerve agent to accused killers
A chemist says he found evidence of VX nerve agent on the clothing of two women on trial for the murder of the half brother of North Korea’s leader.
4. Who won Nobel Prize for literature
Novelist Kazuo Ishiguro, best known for his book “The Remains of the Day,” was cited for “novels of great emotional force.”
5. Where GOP lawmakers’ priorities lie
Republicans are focused on cutting taxes instead of deficits as they look to power a $4.1 billion budget plan through the House.
6. Three Green Berets killed in Niger
The commandos, part of a U.S. force helping the Nigerien Armed Forces counter violent extremists, were likely attacked by militants tied to al-Qaida.
7. In Boston, an open-air drug market
U.S. cities are wrestling with chronically drug-infested areas that have expanded during the heroin crisis, including Boston’s “Methadone Mile.”
8. Startling disparity in loan repayment
A U.S. government study shows that students who attended for-profit colleges were twice as likely — or more — to default on their loans than students who attended public schools.
9. What’s distracting too many drivers
A study says the infotainment technology that automakers are cramming into new vehicles is making drivers take their eyes off the road and hands off the wheel.
10. Arizona tops Colorado in wild-card thriller
With an 11-8 win, the Diamondbacks move on to a best-of-five Division Series against the NL West champion Dodgers.