Two-time presidential candidate Mitt Romney has decided he will not run for president in 2016, he told supporters on Friday.
“After putting considerable thought into making another run for president, I’ve decided it is best to give other leaders in the Party the opportunity to become our next nominee,’’ Romney said on the call, according to The Boston Globe.
Romney’s political team had scheduled a conference call with a group of supporters at 11 a.m. Friday during which Romney said he would give them “an update’’ on his 2016 plans.
Jeb Bush, who likely would have been Romney’s strongest competition in a Republican primary, lauded Romney in a statement on Facebook.
“Mitt is a patriot and I join many in hoping his days of serving our nation and our party are not over,’’ he wrote.
After Romney’s loss to President Barack Obama in the 2012 election, the former Massachusetts governor had been firmly against making a third run for the presidency. But three weeks ago, he unexpectedly told a small group of supporters he was considering launching a third presidential campaign. He has since gotten in touch with former supporters, donors, and staffers.
Most recently, he visited Mississippi to deliver a campaign-like speech about his vision, in which he emphasized a renewed war on poverty and spoke about his personal faith.