Ashland teen with cancer had to be hospitalized in Atlanta and missed seeing Super Bowl

“As you can imagine, Jake is angry, upset, disappointed, frustrated and just wants to go home.”

The family of a terminally ill Ashland teen says the 18-year-old had to be hospitalized Sunday in Atlanta, forcing him to miss seeing the Super Bowl in person.

Jake Silver’s mom shared the news on Facebook Sunday afternoon.

“Unfortunately it wasn’t meant to be,” Melissa Duca wrote. “[Jake’s] oxygen was at 43 this morning and we couldn’t arouse him.”

The 18-year-old was diagnosed with osteosarcoma three years ago, and he was told in mid-January that he has three to six months to live, according to NBC10 Boston. The teen began putting together a bucket list, which included seeing the Patriots in the Super Bowl and meeting Tom Brady.


The surrounding communities started a fundraiser to help Silver, a former high school kicker, complete the list.

“Any slight chance of doing something, I’m going to take it,” Silver told the station in January. “And I just want to say thank you.”

In an interview with WCVB from Atlanta before the Super Bowl, Silver said that if the Patriots won, he’d buy Tom Brady lunch.

Duca said on Facebook that she and her family ended up watching the Super Bowl from an intensive care unit.

“As you can imagine, Jake is angry, upset, disappointed, frustrated and just wants to go home,” she wrote on Monday. “Yesterday was very scary when we couldn’t get him to stay awake for more than a few seconds. Once we got to the ER in the morning it actually seemed to get worse and he wouldn’t respond at all.”

Doctors found that the teen had pneumonia and he needed a blood transfusion.

Duca said her son “feels fine,” but he now needs oxygen “24/7.” The family is now working on getting Silver home to Massachusetts.

“I know everyone put in so much work to get us to Atlanta and the Super Bowl,” she wrote. “Please know the tickets weren’t wasted. We were really hoping that Jake would get better enough to go in an ambulance and see at least part of the game but he just didn’t turn around fast enough. So we gave the tickets to the wonderful ER nurses who took care of him all day with the stipulation that they had to cheer for the Patriots!”