Owner of Allston house where BU student died in fire will not be charged

In 2013, an overcrowded rental in Allston caught fire, leading to the death of one Boston University student.
In 2013, an overcrowded rental in Allston caught fire, leading to the death of one Boston University student. –Dina Rudick / The Boston Globe

Two years ago, a Boston University student living in the upstairs of a crowded Allston house became trapped in a fire and died. Now, prosecutors say they will not bring criminal charges against the landlord, Anna Belokurova, who owned the house and rented it to the student illegally, The Boston Globe reported.

The Suffolk County District Attorney’s office said the crowded conditions were not responsible for the fire. Instead, it was caused by negligent disposal of smoking materials.

The death of the student, Binland Lee, shed a light on the lack of landlord and university accountability for the poor housing conditions that many students endure, as did an ensuing Globe Spotlight Team report, “Shadow Campus.’’

Advertisement

Read the full Globe story here.

Loading Comments...