Tatum opening night game winner over Giannis 😤😤😤 pic.twitter.com/WhJh6Sqscl
— ESPN (@espn) December 24, 2020
Boston will play the Brooklyn Nets on Christmas Day at 5 p.m.
Elsewhere, the Bruins’ schedule for the upcoming season was announced. Boston begins Jan. 14 against the New Jersey Devils.
Paul Pierce’s reaction to Jayson Tatum’s clutch shot: Former Celtic Paul Pierce watched Tatum’s late-game heroics — banking in a deep 3-pointer to give Boston the lead — and decided to weigh in on Twitter with a timely reference:
I didn’t call bank I called game #jt0
— Paul Pierce (@paulpierce34) December 24, 2020
Pierce famously hit a playoff-winner for the Washington Wizards in 2015 on a bank shot, declaring afterward that he “called game.”
— NBA TV (@NBATV) August 22, 2019
Tatum explained after Wednesday’s season-opening win that he knew his shot would hit the backboard, since he had to create more arc to get it over Bucks forward Giannis Antetokounmpo. But he admitted he didn’t call “bank.”
“Once I let it go I knew it would hit the backboard, but I wouldn’t say I tried,” Tatum told reporters after the game.
Trivia: The Celtics traded down from the No. 1 overall pick in 2017 to select Jayson Tatum third. What player was taken immediately after him with the fourth pick?
(Answer at the bottom).
Hint: He now plays for the Pistons, his third NBA team.
More from Boston.com:
- 5 takeaways from Celtics’ win over Bucks, including Jayson Tatum’s game-winner and more
- Jaylen Brown was the best Celtics player on the court, and other thoughts on a thrilling win
- Watch Jayson Tatum’s game-winner as Celtics beat the Bucks in season opener
- A local actor thought he was just doing stand-in work for a Cam Newton commercial. Then he got to play the lead.
- Red Sox sign free agent pitcher Matt Andriese
- Celtics honor late Tommy Heinsohn by lowering banners, wearing “Tommy” warm-ups before season opener
- OKC-Houston game postponed, Harden out after COVID violation
- Here’s the Bruins’ 2020-21 regular-season schedule
- Tristan Thompson is a game-time decision for opener against Bucks
- Bill Belichick declines to answer question about quarterback situation
- The fall of the House of Belichick
- Why the New England Patriots are talking about Armenia
- ESPN analyst thinks Matthew Stafford might be a good fit for the Patriots in 2021
Jayson Tatum’s go-ahead shot was a special one on opening night:
Jayson Tatum’s game winning shot was the latest go-ahead 3-pointer in a season opener over the last 25 seasons.
It’s just the fourth go-ahead FG (two or three) to happen in the last second of a season-opening game over that same span. pic.twitter.com/WXqDKcS4ik
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) December 24, 2020
A New York Daily News back page following the James Harden news:
— Back Page Guy NYDN (@BackPageGuyNYDN) December 24, 2020
On this day: In 2004, the Red Sox gave New England a holiday gift by re-signing newly-crowned World Series champion catcher Jason Varitek to a four-year, $40-million contract. Boston also named him to be the team’s official captain, a rare distinction he shared with Jim Rice and Carl Yastrzemski.
Daily highlight: Buddy Hield tipped it in at the buzzer to give the Kings a dramatic 124-122 win over the Nuggets on Wednesday. Hield celebrated by sprinting straight to the locker room, followed by his teammates.
BUDDY HIELD. AT THE BUZZER. GAME. pic.twitter.com/Xz9UDYWc6c
— Kings on NBCS (@NBCSKings) December 24, 2020
Trivia answer: Josh Jackson
Get Boston.com's browser alerts:
Enable breaking news notifications straight to your internet browser.