The runner photographed being carried across the Boston Marathon finish line remained hospitalized Wednesday night

However, he was feeling well enough to recount the story from his Tufts hospital bed.

04/18/2016 -Boston, MA- A runner is helped across the  finish line of the 120th Boston Marathon in Boston, MA on April 18, 2016. More than 30,000 participants registered for the 2016 Boston Marathon, the third largest field in the race history.  (Craig F. Walker/Globe Staff) section: Sports reporter:
Ari Ofsevit, who was helped across the finish line Monday at the Boston Marathon, remained hospitalized Wednesday night. –Craig F. Walker / The Boston Globe

Ari Ofsevit doesn’t recommend finishing the Boston Marathon the way he now somewhat famously did.

The 31-year-old Cambridge runner, who still finished the 26.2-mile race in an impressive 3:03:05, was photographed on The Boston Globe‘s front page Tuesday being carried across the finish line by two fellow runners.

Ofsevit remained hospitalized Wednesday night and told the story of what happened in a video posted Wednesday by Tufts Medical Center.

Ari Ofsevit, 31, of Cambridge was minutes away from completing his second #BostonMarathon on Monday, when he collapsed 100 yards from the finish line due to heat exhaustion and dehydration. Two fellow runners helped him across the finish line, where he was attended to in the medical tent and then rushed to Tufts Medical Center. Here is his story in his own words.

Posted by Tufts Medical Center on Wednesday, April 20, 2016

“I ran the race last year in the rain; I didn’t have any overheating problems,” he said. “I ran the race this year in the sun, and apparently I did.”


That diagnosis may be understating it.

Ofsevit— who says he was “out for four hours” and doesn’t remember any of it—said his body temperature was up to 108.6 degrees, before he was wheel-chaired off the course and put in an ice bath, where his temperature went down to 88 degrees.

“That’s probably a higher range than any of you have experienced in your life,” Ofsevit said in the video. “I got to experience it in about 20 minutes.”

According to Tufts, he was taken in an ambulance to the hospital, where he stayed in the Intensive Care Unit for two days. Ofsevit said the hospital staff has been “fantastic,” thanking them, as well as those who helped him at the Marathon.

Ofsevit told that he “hopefully” will be released from the hospital Thursday.


Jump To Comments