Red Sox

Red Sox will postpone their trip to the White House until May

Team president Sam Kennedy said last week the Sox were uncomfortable with the idea of a celebration at the White House while so many government employees were out of work or working without pay.

Mookie Betts celebrates with the World Series trophy after his team's 5-1 win over the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 5 of the 2018 World Series.

The Red Sox will postpone their visit to the White House because of the government shutdown, two major league sources told the Globe Friday. The trip is now expected to be in May.

The World Series champions were scheduled to visit Washington Feb. 15, just before the start of spring training. But the lingering shutdown, now five weeks long, changed their plans, given the logistics.

Team president Sam Kennedy said last week the Sox were uncomfortable with the idea of a celebration at the White House while so many government employees were out of work or working without pay.

The visit is now tentatively scheduled for May 6, 7, or 8, when the Sox will be in Baltimore to play the Orioles.

Advertisement:

Still undetermined is whether manager Alex Cora will attend. Cora has voiced concern with the Trump administration’s treatment of his native Puerto Rico.

Several of the team’s Latin American players have said they will not attend (Rafael Devers), are unlikely to attend (Eduardo Rodriguez), or are undecided (Xander Bogaerts, Eduardo Nunez).

Matt Barnes, Ryan Brasier, Brock Holt, Brian Johnson, Mitch Moreland, Steve Pearce, Rick Porcello, Chris Sale, and Blake Swihart have said they would attend.