Peter Chiarelli and Claude Julien concluded their season-ending briefing at TD Banknorth Garden. Some highlights:
* Chiarelli wasn’t sure whether Patrice Bergeron would have been cleared for the next round against Pittsburgh if the Bruins had beaten Montreal.
* Chiarelli said he’d like to add some size and scoring via free agency. He didn’t mention any help on the back end.
* Chiarelli praised Aaron Ward and Glen Metropolit, both unrestricted free agents, and said he will address their contract future shortly. No indications on whether either player will be re-signed.
* Chiarelli confirmed that Julien is working under a multi-year contract.
* Alex Zhamnov’s contract comes off the books in June.
* Chiarelli has not decided whether to re-sign Alex Auld, also a UFA. Chiarelli said he envisioned Manny Fernandez and Tim Thomas being in Boston next year, with Tuukka Rask spending another season in Providence.
* Zdeno Chara will most likely require shoulder surgery.
* Vladimir Sobotka will be assigned to Providence. Petteri Nokelainen might also go to Providence, but he could be called for national duty by Team Finland for the World Championship.
* Phil Kessel will play for Team USA in the World Championship. David Krejci will play for the Czech Republic.
* Kevin Regan and Levi Nelson were signed to entry-level deals today. Regan is under contract for the next two years, while Nelson signed a three-year contract. Both are in Providence. Chiarelli has yet to sign Yuri Alexandrov. Because Russia is not part of the IIHF transfer agreement, any contract Alexandrov signs is not enforceable.
* Chiarelli said he hopes Carl Soderberg will attend training camp in September.