Scott Walker’s goal with 1:14 remaining in overtime ended 2008-09 for the Bruins, far quicker than when the home team expected.
“Obviously it’s a huge disappointment and rightfully so,” said Claude Julien. “We can say what we want, but we had higher expectations than this, and I’m glad we did.”
Tim Thomas stopped Ray Whitney’s first shot, but the rebound popped up in the air, giving Walker the chance to bat the puck in.
* The Bruins went 0 for 4 on the power play. They were blanked three times during the second period on the man-advantage. “We had our chances. We didn’t bury them,” said Steve Montador.
* Walker didn’t hear any chirping in the handshake line despite being the villain in Game 5 for sucker-punching Aaron Ward. “They were classy and they all shook my hand,” Walker said. “They are a great team. They have great goaltending, size, and skill. They have everything.”
* The Bruins have yet to schedule a breakup day. It will not be today (Friday).
STICK SALUTE: Milan Lucic. Proved again that he rises to the occasion.
SIN BIN: The power play.
All done at the Garden. Hurricanes, 3-2.
10:06 (OT). Big save by Tim Thomas on Ray Whitney. The Hurricanes had been cycling.
5:45 (OT). Cam Ward with a game-saving stop on David Krejci.
4:48 (OT). Aaron Ward wallops Tuomo Ruutu at the blue line.
2:13 (OT). Rod Brind’Amour to the room. Looked like he took a puck off the head.
20:00 (3). After 60 minutes, tied at 2-2. Next goal wins.
* The Bruins finally found their legs in the third period. Lots of pressure at the end, with Patrice Bergeron leading the charge. Bergeron was monstrous in the third.
* Bergeron made a fine defensive play as well. After Tim Thomas stopped a Ray Whitney cannon, Bergeron was in position in the slot to sweep the rebound away.
* Carolina leads on the shot board, 29-28.
6:19 (3). Tied, 2-2. Marc Savard finds Milan Lucic out front. Lucic roofs his shot over Cam Ward.
20:00 (2). After 40 minutes, Hurricanes with a 2-1 lead. This could be the final period of the season coming up for the Bruins.
* Obviously, no presence on the Boston power play. Cam Ward has had to make a few decent saves, but he hasn’t been tested yet. Bruins have to move and create some seams in Carolina’s PK box.
* Tim Thomas bailed out his teammates several times in the second. In the first minute, Thomas made a pair of close-range saves on Ray Whitney. On the late power play, Whitney had a shot that Thomas kicked out with his right pad. Thomas also made good saves on Chad LaRose and Rod Brind’Amour.
18:46 (2). Michael Ryder nabbed for holding Chad LaRose. PP for Carolina.
13:54 (2). Fourth PP for the Bruins. Sergei Samsonov off for holding.
13:04 (2). No luck for the Bruins on the PP again. Chuck Kobasew moves up to PP1 and replaces Michael Ryder. Milan Lucic takes Kobasew’s spot on PP2.
10:55 (2). Shawn Thornton draws a hooking call on Frantisek Kaberle. Third PP for Boston.
7:45 (2). Hurricanes, 2-1. Joni Pitkanen enters the zone with speed and finds Sergei Samsonov at the right post.
3:54 (2). Second PP for the Bruins. Matt Cullen called for stickwork on P.J. Axelsson.
2:54 (2). Byron Bitz drives to the net hard and is stopped by Cam Ward.
20:00 (1). After 20 minutes, tied at 1-1.
* More slick stickwork by David Krejci prior to Byron Bitz’s goal. Michael Ryder’s slap shot went wide, but when the puck caromed off the wall, Krejci collected the rebound and slipped a pass back to Bitz, all in one motion. Easy goal for Bitz, who continues to prove he’s more than a fourth-line energy wing.
* P.J. Axelsson wasn’t crazy about his hooking call on Eric Staal. Looked like Staal was going into Tim Thomas when Axelsson got his stick on the center. Officially, Dennis Seidenberg is credited with an even-strength goal, even though Axelsson was in the box when the puck went in.
* Krejci nearly had a PPG with Tuomo Ruutu in the box for slashing. But Erik Cole made a nice play to sweep a rebound away before Krejci got to it.
16:52 (1). PP for the Bruins. Slashing on Tuomo Ruutu.
13:59 (1). Tied, 1-1. Looks like Rod Brind’Amour getting a piece of a Dennis Seidenberg one-timer.
11:59 (1). First PP of the night for Carolina. Hooking on P.J. Axelsson.
10:35 (1). Tim Thomas stops Eric Staal’s off-wing wrister. Carolina with an 8-7 shot advantage.
7:42 (1). Bruins, 1-0. Byron Bitz slams home the rebound of a Steve Montador shot.
0:00 (1). Scratches are official: Blake Wheeler for Boston, Anton Babchuk for Carolina.
0:00 (1). Brutus “The Barber” Beefcake, the team’s new good-luck charm, is back in the house. He looks ready to bust out of his white T-shirt, naturally.