Six pucks slipped behind Tim Thomas tonight. (Barry Chin/Globe Staff)
For the second time in the first three games, the Bruins lost by a five-goal margin.
“There’s no way we can win games the way we played tonight,” said Patrice Bergeron. “We didn’t show up and our fans don’t deserve this.”
The only good performances Claude Julien got came from his fourth line yet again. So in the third period, when the Bruins went on a late power play, Julien sent out Shawn Thornton, Steve Begin, and Byron Bitz instead of one of his usual units.
“I think the other guys needed to know that I might as well throw those guys out,” Julien said. “At least I know they’re going to work hard. They may not accomplish what all those skilled guys can accomplish. There’s no doubt there. That’s what happened. I was going to send some guys who were at least going to work hard and make their team at least look respectable.”
* Rough night for David Krejci, Michael Ryder, and Blake Wheeler, who were on the ice for three Anaheim goals. The No. 2 line combined for four shots on Jonas Hiller.
* The power play went 0 for 6. Anaheim scored on both power-play opportunities.
* The Bruins practice tomorrow at 11:30 a.m. at Ristuccia Arena.
STICK SALUTE: Bobby Ryan. Six shots, one goal, and a whole lot of presence from the guy picked behind Sidney Crosby.
SIN BIN: Ryder. A flickering offensive threat. But he had company in that department.
All done at the Garden. Ducks, 6-1.
19:07 (3). Ducks, 6-1. Corey Perry with the SHG on the second bounce.
15:30 (3). Claude Julien sends out a PP unit of Steve Begin, Byron Bitz, Shawn Thornton, Andrew Ference, and Mark Stuart. Can’t be worse than either regular unit.
12:46 (3). Ducks, 5-1. Bobby Ryan tips a Scott Niedermayer shot past Tim Thomas. Bruins fail to clear the zone several times.
6:26 (3). Ducks, 4-1. Evgeny Artyukhin blows past Matt Hunwick and raps a shot five-hole through Tim Thomas. Thomas not in his comfort zone tonight.
After 40 minutes, Ducks with a 3-1 lead. Anaheim scored on three of six second-period shots. Real dud of a period for the Bruins.
* As usual, the Ducks are keeping their opponents in the game by taking too many penalties. That said, the Boston power play is not at its best tonight. Bad breakouts, missed passes, poor communication, no setups.
* The Anaheim power play (Scott Niedermayer, Ryan Getzlaf, Teemu Selanne, Corey Perry, Saku Koivu) made the Bruins pay for taking two quick penalties. The Ducks moved the puck and went to the front of the net.
* Not much from Michael Ryder tonight.
19:09 (2). A little life from Milan Lucic, David Krejci, and Blake Wheeler.
13:02 (2). Ducks, 3-1. Corey Perry barrels down the left wing, cuts into the slot, and wings it into the open net. Slick move by the power forward.
8:46 (2). Byron Bitz draws a hooking call on Luca Sbisa by driving to the net. The Bruins are hoping this power play will be more effective than their last one.
3:36 (2). Ducks, 2-1. Teemu Selanne with another PPG. Bruins can’t clear an initial point shot by James Wisniewski.
2:13 (1). Tied, 1-1. Teemu Selanne wins an offensive-zone draw from Patrice Bergeron, then sets himself up to take Scott Niedermayer’s dish and one-time a shot past Tim Thomas.
2:06 (2). Two-man advantage for Anaheim for 1:09.
After 20 minutes, Bruins with a 1-0 lead. Boston with a 19-11 shot advantage.
* It’s been fun watching Zdeno Chara battle with Corey Perry in the first period. Perry plays with a lot of bite in his game, and we all know what Chara brings. Chara has been active and physical.
* Big stop by Tim Thomas on Ryan Whitney’s slapper from the point with 3.4 seconds remaining in the first. Would have been deflating for the Bruins to enter the first intermission tied at 1-1.
* Blake Wheeler was shaken up after Bobby Ryan belted him into the glass next to the bench. Wheeler remained on the bench and should be OK.
* George Parros might try and get something started in the second period.
16:33 (1). Bruins, 1-0. Marco Sturm gets the puck with speed and cranks a slapper past Jonas Hiller. Marc Savard with the backhand dish, and Dennis Wideman starts the breakout from deep in the zone.
15:02 (1). Lots of good scoring chances for the Bruins, who have a 17-7 shot advantage.
11:28 (1). Jonas Hiller with some slick glovework, snatching a Marc Savard wrister through traffic.
7:49 (1). Very good work by the fourth line. Steve Begin gets a close-range shot after Byron Bitz lays the wood on Scott Niedermayer deep in the offensive zone.
4:01 (1). Tim Thomas returns the favor by stopping Bobby Ryan at close range. Corey Perry starts the play with a hard forecheck.
3:26 (1). Sharp stop by Jonas Hiller on Milan Lucic, who had cut into the slot from the right side and put a shot on goal.