Barry Chin/Globe Staff
Execution, not effort, was the problem in today’s 3-1 loss.
“We played pretty hard, I thought,” Derek Morris said. “The effort was definitely there. We didn’t do a real good job of getting traffic. They did a good job of confronting our shots.”
The Bruins slogged their way through a hellacious second period when they managed only three pucks on Henrik Lundqvist. At the other end, Brandon Dubinsky scored the game-winning goal after causing a turnover in the second.
- Marco Sturm could have tied the game in the first by burying his penalty shot. Instead, Lundqvist kicked out Sturm’s shot. “I just missed it,” Sturm said. “I knew where I wanted to go, I just missed it, that’s all.”
- Dennis Wideman scored the Bruins’ only goal off a set play in the third. However, Wideman showed little satisfaction in scoring the goal. “We need to do more,” Wideman said. “Me especially. I’m not even close to where I was last year, and that’s something that I want to get going as much as we can, especially with some of our top scorers out of the lineup. We’re really expected to make a little more happen from the back end.”
- The Bruins are off tomorrow. They will resume practice on Monday at 10:30 a.m. at Ristuccia Arena.
STICK SALUTE: Brandon Dubinsky. A force on the forecheck. Nothing pretty about his game, but plays hard and goes right to the dirty areas.
SIN BIN: Vladimir Sobotka. Zero shots over 15 shifts. Not the performance of a second-line center.
All done at the Garden. Rangers, 3-1.
19:24 (3). Timeout Bruins.
16:16 (3). Rangers, 3-1. David Krejci wins the offensive-zone draw, pulls back to Zdeno Chara. Chara sets up Dennis Wideman, whose one-timer finds the back of the net.
13:16 (3). Henrik Lundqvist gobbles up a Dennis Wideman shot. No rebound.
11:06 (3). Matt Hunwick jumps into the slot, takes a pass from Daniel Paille, and rattles iron.
2:40 (3). Mark Recchi shoots wide left from in front.
1:27 (3). Delay of game on Christopher Higgins. First PP for the Bruins.
0:37 (3). Rangers, 3-0. Erik Christensen finds a loose puck and whistles a shot through a Zdeno Chara screen and past Tim Thomas.
After 40 minutes, Rangers with a 2-0 lead. Bruins with three shots in the second.
- Given how cold it is in TD Garden today, Henrik Lundqvist must be freezing his toes off. Lundqvist was seen nodding off while fending off a mere three pucks in the second.
- Bruins sure could use a puck-rushing defenseman like Michael Del Zotto. Not one to be seen on the roster, nor is there such a player in Providence. Makes a big difference when you have a defenseman who can serve as a one-man breakout and force other teams to have loose gaps.
- Because of the shorthanded roster and because of the way his teammates are playing in front of him, Tim Thomas has to be perfect. Thomas hasn’t been perfect today.
19:48 (2). Tim Thomas fights off traffic to stop Dan Girardi’s point shot.
15:26 (2). Too many men (AKA the Lewie) for the Bruins.
12:04 (2). Through traffic, Henrik Lundqvist stops Matt Hunwick’s point shot. The King is seeing everything.
10:16 (2). Rangers, 2-0. Brandon Dubinsky crashes the net and puts in his own rebound.
10:02 (2). Much-needed TV timeout for the Bruins. Rangers had heavy PP pressure with good net-front presence on their point shots.
8:35 (2). Matt Gilroy rings a slap
shot off the post.
7:35 (2). Tim Thomas makes a sliding left-to-right save. Steve Begin off for roughing after tangling with Sean Avery.
5:25 (2). Miroslav Satan trips Marian Gaborik. Bad shift for Satan’s line.
4:26 (2). David Krejci sets up Daniel Paille for several close-range chances.
0:00 (2). Daniel Paille is back on the bench.
After 20 minutes, Rangers with a 1-0 lead. Bruins with an 11-7 shot advantage.
- Daniel Paille didn’t return after leaving for the dressing room at 14:50. Paille was limping heavily, favoring his right foot, after stepping in front of an Ales Kotalik shot. Big loss for the Bruins if Paille can’t come back.
- Bruins got some good looks late in the first on Henrik Lundqvist. They have to keep up the forechecking pressure on the Rangers D.
- Marco Sturm has to be harder on the puck on the penalty shot. Not much muscle behind his penalty shot.
18:59 (1). Blake Wheeler tips a Derek Morris point shot. Kick save by Henrik Lundqvist.
18:30 (1). Henrik Lundqvist kicks out a Johnny Boychuk slapper.
17:17 (1). Post-whistle flareup involving Adam McQuaid, Donald Brashear, and Brian Boyle. No penalties.
16:46 (1). Tim Thomas comes out to stop Artem Anisimov.
14:50 (1). Daniel Paille to the room.
14:50 (1). Penalty shot for Marco Sturm after getting hooked by Ales Kotalik. Henrik Lundqvist calmly kicks out Sturm’s forehand bid.
14:30 (1). Daniel Paille goes down hard after taking an Ales Kotalik slapper off the right foot.
13:43 (1). Blake Wheeler off for hooking.
10:00 (1). Timeout Rangers. Good move by John Tortorella to give his players a breather after the icing.
10:00 (1). Excellent forecheck by Blake Wheeler and mates on the first line. Strong work on the wall to force an icing.
7:56 (1). Rangers, 1-0. Michael Del Zotto whirls around an out-of-position Zdeno Chara, slashes into the slot, and tucks a backhander between Tim Thomas’s pads. Not sure why Chara jumped the gun and pursued Del Zotto.
2:01 (1). Off the draw, Shawn Thornton vs. Donald Brashear. Thornton sneaks in a quick right jab. Brashear loses his footing and goes down quickly.
0:28 (1). As expected, Zdeno Chara lines up against Marian Gaborik.
Marc Savard (knee) and Byron Bitz (back) are out. The Rangers will be without Vinny Prospal and Aaron Voros.